The Countdown to College Begins!
* Seniors may begin filing college applications immediately. Generally, college applications should be turned in to Mrs. Putman by November or December to allow time to process the paperwork, including transcripts and recommendations. Students requiring letters of recommendation need to request those letters from teachers, coaches, an advisor, family friends, religious leaders, employers, etc. early - do not rush them!
* Many colleges are encouraging online applications - in fact, some colleges will waive the application fee for students applying online, rather than on paper applications. Check the websites of your colleges of interest before completing applications.
* The State University of New York (SUNY) applications are available online at: www.suny.edu/student
* Students are encouraged to use the web to apply to NYS public colleges or stop in the Guidance Office to pick up a copy of the SUNY application. Students may apply to multiple SUNY colleges on the same application at a cost of $50.00 per college.
* We also have applications to some private colleges or out-of-state colleges in the guidance office. Most applications can also be downloaded from college websites or applications can be done online.
How safe is the college campus you want to attend? This is an important question, particularly for students attending college away from home. There is a government website that gives safety reports of 6,000 U.S. colleges and universities. Look up your college of choice at: http://ope.ed.gov/security/
Last minute college applications?
If your senior has not completed college applications yet, it may not be too late. Many schools will continue to accept applications through the spring as space permits; however, be aware that particular majors may be filling up as well. He/she may be accepted to a particular college, but not into the major of choice if slots are filled already. If your student wishes to apply and hasn't begun the process, push them to come see Mrs. Putman immediately to begin the process.